Sweet, bright apples of the ideal form - the dream of any gardener. These characteristics have apples Fuji. This variety has been known for a long time and is notable for not only beautiful fruits, but also impeccable taste. But in order to grow a beautiful crop, you need to properly plant an apple tree and provide it with proper care.
How did the Fuji apple tree appear?
Fuji apples is a variety created by scientists in the 1930s. To obtain a new species such species as Red Delicious and Rolls Janet were used. The development of a new apple variety was carried out in the village of Fujisaki-machi, Aomori Prefecture, Japan. In honor of this village, a new apple tree was given the name.
Apple Fuji grows very high, up to 9 meters, if you do not control its growth
Today it is one of the most common species in the world. He received the greatest popularity in China. 75% of the apple trees grown in this country are Fuji. Also, this variety is popular in South Korea and Japan itself, of course. Gardens with these sweet apples can be found in Europe (France, Italy, Spain, Greece).Interesting! For the normal cultivation of apple Fuji requires a warm summer and a long day of light, so grow a variety only in the southern regions. If the sun is low, the apples will grow small and almost not sweet.
Variety descriptionRead also these articles.
- Planting strawberries in the fall
- Breed geese Legart
- Keeping and feeding goats at home
- Turkeys Hybrid Converter
The variety is not self-pollinating, so you need to plant a tree of another variety near
Apple Fuji grows very high, up to 9 meters, if you do not control its growth. Pagons grow chaotically, so the yield in the event of poor care is greatly reduced. But if the time to pruning, the tree will be neat and fruitful.Interesting! The more sun the Fuji fruits receive, the sweeter their taste will be.
Fuji apples have a rounded shape, slightly narrowed to the bottom. The weight of one apple is 200-250 g. The color of fruits is pink-red, but the unripe fruits are closer to the yellow-pink. There may be vertical stripes or yellow, small dots. The skin is matte, thin. The flesh is creamy, there may be a yellowish sheen. It is dense, with a high content of juice. During the bite is heard characteristic crunch. The aroma is strong, pleasant.
The flesh is creamy, there may be a yellowish sheen
Characteristics of Fuji apples
The Fuji apple variety has many positive qualities and some disadvantages that you need to know before planting seedlings.
- Apple tree is suitable for growing only in warm regions.
- The variety is not self-pollinating, so that at least one other tree must be planted near this tree (Gala, Smith, Ligol, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith).
- Productivity from one tree - 100 kg.
- The taste is bright, sugar.
100 g of the product is only 70 kcal
- The transportability is good and the apples have commercial qualities.
- Calorie low. 100 g of the product is only 70 kcal. The amount of proteins - 0.4 g, carbohydrates - 19 g, and fat - 0.2 g. 80% of the fruit consists of water. The composition also contains many vitamins (A, C, PP, B5, B6, B9), iron, iodine, magnesium and calcium.
Variety varietiesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Variety of zucchini Gribovsky 37
- How to collect tomato seeds
- Pepper Californian miracle
- Tomato variety Eagle beak
There are several varieties of varieties that are slightly different from the original in terms of cultivation and taste.
- Apple tree Kiku is a clone of Fuji, obtained by Louis Brown. To taste, external qualities it is identical to the Fuji variety. The main difference - Kiku ripens 2 weeks earlier than the original.
- Aztec is another famous clone created in New Zealand in 1996. Externally, the apples are slightly different - the shape is the same, but the color is more uniform and bright. The taste is slightly sour. To taste, juiciness, they are not inferior to Fuji. Ripens in late September or early October.
Apple Kiku - a clone of Fuji
There are also such varieties of Fuji as Shogun, Nagafu Yataka, Toshiro, Beni, but they are less popular in the varieties described above. Unlike the original, they can be grown in central Russia, in Ukraine and countries with a similar climate. They taste very sweet, juicy, but they ripen earlier than Fuji.
Features of planting apple Fuji
Only a sunny spot is chosen for planting, preferably on the south side of the plot. The land should be enriched with humus. The pit is done 2-3 weeks before landing. The height of the pit to 1 meter, the diameter is the same. In it the peg for a garter is established. If the earth is clay, drainage is made at the bottom of the pit. On top of it is poured sand or a layer of foliage, and then the fertile land (you need to add 1-2 buckets of humus to it).
Aztec apples - another famous clone of FujiImportant! You can plant a Fuji tree in spring or autumn. It is recommended to do this in the fall (September-October), when there are no leaves on the tree anymore, then the sapling will be able to direct all forces to rooting.
Before planting, the roots of the seedling must be soaked in water (4 hours before planting). After that, the seedling is placed in a hole, on a hill of fertile land. Roots are leveled on all sides, then they are sprinkled with earth, compacting the soil. After planting, the tree is tied to a peg and watered with 2-3 buckets of warm water.
Only a sunny spot is chosen for planting, preferably on the south side of the plot.
Every year it is necessary to provide full care for the tree, otherwise the yield will be low, and the crop itself will have an unaesthetic appearance.
- Watering is a very important part of care. If there is little water, the taste of apples will be sour. For the year held at least 6 irrigations. Their abundance depends on weather conditions and the quality of the land, but on average 3-5 buckets of warm water are poured under the tree.
- So that the water does not evaporate quickly, a layer of peat, moss or humus mulch is made in the near-circle wheel.
- Bottom zone must be kept clean, weeds removed in a timely manner, and sometimes loosen the soil. If there is a mulch in the near-forest zone, sometimes it is simply raked, and the soil is cleaned and loosened. Then again lay the mulch.
Pruning is carried out 1-2 times a year.
- Pruning is carried out 1-2 times a year. All new branches that grow incorrectly, deep into the crown or interfere with the development of other branches, must be cut. Those pagons that are damaged, broken, twisted or affected by pests are also removed.
- For abundant fruiting, the tree is fed in the spring with nitrogenous substances (20 g / sq.m.). In the fall, 6 kg of humus, 30 g of potassium and 100 g of phosphorus are introduced under the adult tree.
- Fuji has an average immune system. Apple can be affected by diseases such as scab, bacteriosis. To avoid the appearance of diseases, pest attacks, and to protect Fuji apples from damage, it is necessary to spray in the spring and late autumn. For processing, complex insecticides, fungicides or such a means, for example, as a 3% solution of Bordeaux mixture, are used.
Fuji has an average immune system
Harvesting and storage
Variety late maturity. Apples are harvested around October. The storage capacity of the harvested crop is good, apples can be stored in a dark, clean room for up to 4 months. If you store these apples according to all the rules, with the observance of one temperature, a certain humidity, light, then you can store them for about a year after harvest.
Fuji apples have universal use. You can use them for fresh consumption, as well as for processing (making juice, marmalade). For winter storage, they can also be used. It turns out these apples delicious jam, jam, jams and compotes. In baking, desserts, the fruits do not lose their pleasant taste.
Productivity from one tree 100 kg
Reviews of apple variety Fuji
Gardeners speak of this variety both positively and negatively.
- Igor Teterin: “I have been cultivating the Fuji variety for more than 7 years. The tree is fruitful, which pleases, but gives a lot of problems in caring. The main difficulty is the height of the crop, we have to constantly shorten it. always help. So I’m thinking of replacing it with a less demanding grade. "
- Timofey Belkin: “Fuji apple tree is a variety for sale. There are only 3 trees growing on my site, but I collect more than 250 kg of crop a year. It’s quite difficult for myself to grow this tree. Tree grows carelessly and grows so that harvest sometimes problematic. But after selling the fruits, all the work pays off. The fruits are sweet, juicy, tasty for food and processing, so the demand for them is always high. "
- Diana Lapina: “I love the Fuji variety. The apples are always sweet and tasty. The tree requires serious care, but for an experienced gardener this is not a problem. I grow only one tree, but I get so much harvest each year as for food, and for harvesting, and there are enough for sale. Especially kids love these apples, they are fabulously beautiful, fragrant, they show themselves well in transportation. I recommend gardeners with large plots, because the tree takes up a lot of space. "