Houseplants are pleasing to the eye and provide a cozy atmosphere. Thanks to the large selection, today even the most picky buyer can find the perfect home plant. Plumeria is a culture with amazing aroma and amazingly beautiful flowers. This article is devoted to the description of plumeria, the peculiarities of its cultivation at home.
Plumeria is a beautiful plant with large, interesting flowers and pronounced aroma. In its natural environment, it can be found in the northern part of Mexico, Laos. The name of the culture is obliged to the French scientist, Charlie Plumeru.
Plumery dull photoInteresting! Plumeria flowers can be of a wide variety of colors, but the red, white, and yellow varieties are most common.
It is difficult to confuse plumeria with other types of plants. It is a small shrub or tree. The diameter of the flowers can be very different. Among the indoor species are usually flowers up to 10 cm in diameter. They gather in inflorescences at the top of the branches. The flower is 5 petals collected on a single peduncle.
Flowering can impress even a proven grower. Despite the fact that the buds look simple, they are so delicate, elegant and refined that they make themselves admire. The color of the petals can be a variety of shades of yellow, red, pink, mauve or just white. The most common two-color plumeria.
Photo of Plumeria obtus (Plumeria obtusa)
Flowering lasts all summer, before sunrise and after sunset, the room is filled with the pleasant aroma of the plant. The rest of the time - it's just a beautiful, green bush or small tree with a rich color of foliage. Pagon he can be up to several meters. They are bare, greyish in color. The leaves are bright green, collected in the sockets on the tops of the cuttings.
Plumeria VarietiesRead also these articles.
- Turkey food
- Apple-tree Sinap Orlovsky grade
- Variety of pepper Ratunda
- Chinese silk chicken - breed characteristics
Scientists have already described about 65 types of plumeria. But only a few are widespread.
- Plumeria dull - This is a small evergreen plant 3-5 meters high (in its natural environment, but it grows less in room conditions). Leaflets up to 20 cm long, sinewy, dark green.
- Plumeria obtus - dwarf variety. Bush up to 40 cm in height. The leaves are velvet, dark green, covered with a short fuzz on the back side.
Photo of white plumeria
- White plumeria - tree up to 10 meters in height. The leaves are green, up to 30 cm in length and up to 7 cm in width, with fleecy on the back side. The edges of the leaves are slightly raised. Flowers are small - up to 2.5 cm in diameter, white with a yellow color at the base of the petal.
- Red plumeria - deciduous tree about 5 meters in height. The leaves are ellipsoid, up to 15 cm wide and about 50 cm long. Flowers with a diameter of 5 cm, are collected in inflorescences. They may be red, pink, mauve, with a yellowish tint or white depending on the variety.
Among the famous varieties that can be purchased in stores or on the Internet, it is worth mentioning such as "Plumeria Angel Gold", "Sofitel", "Lucky Moon", "Haleeva White", "Super Glow", "Pink Bouquet", "Beauty Idol" "," Gold Pleat "and others.
Photo of Red Plumeria
Growing plumeria from seeds
Plumeria can be propagated by cuttings or seeds. Growing from seed is a laborious business. It does not always give the desired effect. Therefore, this method is mainly used by breeders.
For sowing seeds are taken pots with a diameter of about 6 cm. The seeds are sown in the ground (2 parts of turf and 1 part of sand, humus, peat). So that they sprout faster, the pot is covered with a film and placed in a warm place. When sprouts appear and their root system becomes stronger, you can sop down the seedlings in separate containers. Such a plumeria will bloom no sooner than in 2-3 years.
Plumeria seedsImportant! Plumeria secretes poisonous juice, which can cause allergies or burning skin. So from children, pets it should be kept away.
Reproduction plumeria cuttingsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- White radish
- Kishmish grape variety 342
- The best meat and egg breeds of chickens
- Planting and care for sorrel
Amateur flower growers practice reproduction by cuttings of plumeria. This is a simple method with good results.
The cuttings for breeding are taken semi-woody, 25-30 cm long. The leaves are removed, the cutting itself is cut at an angle. The cuttings are harvested during the resting period of the plant, and planted in the ground in early spring. The cuttings are dug into the ground by 8-10 cm. Watering is carried out so that the earth has time to dry out. Rooting cuttings can be observed in 2-3 months.
Once the culture has confidently gone to growth, you can transplant it into a larger pot, in which it will be grown. The first bloom is observed in the year of planting or the next.
Reproduction Plumeria cuttings
Care for the flower at home
The advantage of plumeria is that it is an unpretentious plant that can grow in conditions unsuitable for other indoor crops.
- Proper lighting is the main point of care. In order for the foliage to rejoice in color, and flowering takes place on time, it is necessary to provide 6-7 hours of good lighting to the culture. The flower loves direct sunlight and does not suffer from them. It is best to put it on the south window.
- The optimum temperature for development is room temperature. In the summer it is +25 ... +30 degrees, and in the winter about +20 degrees or slightly lower. If the readings on the thermometer fall below +17 degrees, the plant may start to hurt or retard development.
- Fresh air is very useful for plumeria. The room where it is located should be regularly aired. And in the summer you can take it to the balcony, to the garden or to the terrace. But drafts are best avoided.
- Watering is organized so that water never accumulates in the pan. Fluid is applied regularly throughout the year. Only in the summer it needs more, and in the winter - less.
The main pest of Plumeria - spider mite
- Spraying is another important care procedure. Spray this plant before flowering at dawn or evening with a frequency of 2-3 days.
- Feeding necessary for normal development. Bring them after a period of rest. To do this, purchase complex preparations for flowering indoor crops. Fertilizers are added to the pot 2 times a month. In the fall, the number of dressings decreases, and during dormancy, fertilizers are not applied at all.
- Pruning is necessary to form the crown of the plant, as well as to stimulate flowering. It is done after the plant leaves the state of rest. All the dead pagons, the sick, the injured are cut to lively, healthy tissue. Strongly cut the tree is not necessary, but slightly trim it does not hurt.
- The main pest of crops is the spider mite. It is easy to notice and at the first signs you need to do the processing of special drugs: "Anti-tick", "Omayt", "Akarin". Sick flower rarely, but in the event of such problems, you need to carry out the processing of fungicides ("Gamair", "Mikosan", "Hom").
- The rest period lasts about 1 month. During this time, plumeria loses part of the lower leaves, but at the end of the rest period, new foliage appears.
Features of plumeria transplantation
Transplantation is carried out in early spring. Young cultures need to be replanted every year, and adults - every 2 years. This flower has a developed root system, which grows with the ground part. In other words, the larger the pot, the larger the plumeria will grow.
Features of plumeria transplantation
Transplantation is carried out by a simple method. Usually, a slightly larger pot is taken for the culture, but if there is no need for further growth of the tree (increase in size), you can take the same capacity. If the plumeria is very large, the transplant is not performed - the upper layer of the earth is simply replaced.Interesting! Land for plumeria is composed of two parts of sod and 1 part of sand, peat and humus.
In order for plumeria to slow down, it is necessary to reduce its root system during transplantation. This is done very carefully. Sharp scissors or a knife, the roots are cut from the bottom and sides by 5 cm. After that, the roots should be dipped in pounded coal and planted - set the tree in a new pot and sprinkle with new soil mixture.
Reviews flower growers about Plumeria
Plumeria conquered many flower growers with its beauty. Opinions about this plant can be read below.
- Mariana Long: “I fell in love with Plumeria as soon as I saw its flowering. I bought the cuttings of this beauty in the online store, and also acquired several varieties of seeds. Despite the fact that I counted on long rooting of cuttings, they quickly began to grow, and this is not the first year they make me happy with their flowering. As for the seeds, things are more complicated - they germinated for a long time, then they were transplanted, the flowers were not given for a long time (as it should be). But last year they bloomed for the first time. Now I have 4 plants from cuttings and 3 of the seeds - they are very beautiful and neprih cast, so I advise everything! ".
- Anna Pub: "For me, there is no better home plant than plumeria. It is not only beautiful, but it also allows you to control your growth. A large culture grows or a small one depends on the size of the pot. I have 3 plumes of different colors. One tree is already more than a meter in height , others are slightly smaller. They bloom every year. The flowers are very beautiful, fragrant - the petals are artificial, they look amazing! "
- Olga Vtorova: "Despite the fact that the plumeria is from South America, it is an unpretentious plant that even a novice grower can grow. I didn’t dare to buy it for a long time, but then I bought 2 species at once. Most like in this culture flowering and aroma. quickly, so you need to replant and fertilize it in a timely manner so that there is enough power in the soil. "