Cucumbers are grown worldwide. This culture is not difficult to grow, but only if you choose the right variety. Varieties of cucumbers for the Urals are resistant to weather changes, they can develop normally even with a lack of heat and sun. The best varieties and hybrids that are suitable for cultivation in protected and unprotected soil in the Urals are presented in this article.
Features of the Ural region
Ural ranks as zones of high-risk farming. Very often, the harvest does not meet the requirements of farmers, due to the peculiarities of the climate. The main problem faced by gardeners - an early cold snap and even frost, a short period of warm weather.
The climate of the Urals is sharply continental and, in order to minimize risks when growing garden crops, including cucumbers, it is worth noting a few recommendations when choosing varieties and growing them.
Cucumbers for the Urals must be self-pollinated (parthenocarpic)
- You need to plant several varieties and hybrids (among varieties you need to have at least 1-2 hybrids, because they are more resilient). In this case, it is worth taking and already known, tested species and new ones. This will allow you to identify, perhaps, any species that are more suitable for cultivation in this region.
- Varieties and hybrids are selected only those that can freak in the Urals. Main qualities: frost resistance, strong immunity (especially to fungi), short term of ripening.
- At least 1-2 species planted in the country should be self-pollinated (parthenocarpic). The reason is that there are not many sunshine days when bees actively pollinate plants in the Urals. And this means that cucumbers that need pollination may not give a crop at all.
- For open ground, the most viable varieties are selected, strong, ultra early, which will surely have time to yield even with a lack of sun. For greenhouses, you can choose less powerful varieties of cucumbers, with a longer ripening period, but self-pollinated! Otherwise you have to pollinate them yourself. This is possible, but the work is painstaking.
Given the recommendations above, you can grow a full, bountiful harvest in the Urals.
The best varieties of cucumbers for open ground in the UralsRead also these articles.
- Warm beds
- Ovosk to check eggs
- Apricot Triumph North
- New Zealand White Rabbit
Selecting hybrids and cucumber varieties for the Urals, you need to make sure that they are intended for just such a climate.
The best varieties of cucumbers for open ground in the Urals
- "April F1" - A hybrid for open ground, but can be cultivated in greenhouses. Mid-season, the crop can be picked already 50 days after the sprouting. The bush is strong, resilient. In a knot about 8-12 Zelentsov are formed. There is an immunity to the spotting of an olive, ordinary mosaic. Cucumbers grow up to 200-250 g, about 20 cm. The skin is hilly, dark green. The flesh is light, juicy. Zelentsy universal use.
- "Altai gherkin F1" - an early ripe look, maturing is observed for 40-45 days. Zelentsy on 75 g, small, beautiful, with a green skin and saturated aroma. Used for salads. They have a pleasant sweetish taste, a crunch is heard when biting.
- "Erofey" - bee-pollinated species created for the Urals and zones with a similar climate. Mid-season, the greens are torn off 50 days after the appearance of the sprouts. It is cold-resistant, viable, even in cloudy weather. Branched bush, strong, but the cucumbers themselves are small, up to 7 cm, gherkin type. There is a good immunity. The fruits of universal use.
- "Competitor" - a kind for an open ground, but is suitable also for film shelters. It has a high immunity, good yield. Cucumbers ripen in 45-50 days, weighing about 125 days, 12 cm each. The taste is pleasant, cucumbers are suitable for pickles, but also very tasty in fresh salads.
- "Masha F1" - Parthenocarpic type of early term (40 days). Bouquet blooming, in a node about 6-7 greens are formed. Undemanding to the method of cultivation, has a prolonged period of fruiting, good yield. Cornish-type cucumbers, dark green color, not bitter. It is noted immunity to many fungal diseases.
- "Murom 36" - early, bee-pollinated type of cucumbers for the Urals. Gives the first Zelentsy for 35-40 days. It is immune to many ailments. The fruits are tasty, small size 6-9 cm, ellipsoid, resemble an elongated egg. The peel is not hard, light green with white stripes.
The best varieties of cucumbers for greenhouses
Cucumbers for greenhouses should grow without problems with limited access to the sun.
The best varieties of cucumbers for greenhouses for the Ural region
- "Marinda F1" - Parthenocarpic view of early ripening period (40-45 days). Type ovary tuber (6 Zelentsov in one node). Suitable for the Urals and areas with a similar climate. It can be cultivated in greenhouses or in open ground. Zelentsy grow about 12 cm, weighing 110-120 g, with an abundance of tubercles. Suitable for pickles and twist for the winter. Pulp without voids, crispy.
- "Karelian F1" - an early form, giving fruit as early as 40 days after the appearance of sprouts. Fruits grow up to 10 cm. The hybrid does not require pollination. Shrubs tolerate cold and heat. Productivity is high. The use is universal.
- "Emelya F1" - mid-season view for greenhouses, which does not need pollination. The harvest matures in 40-45 days. Cold-resistant. Fruits grow up to 5 cm, weighing about 150 g. Appointment salad. The skin is thin and a crunch is heard when biting. The taste is juicy, sweet, not bitter. The annual yield is 16 kg / sq. m
- "Chernomor F1" - mid-early view. The first harvest can be collected in 50-55 days. Fruits elongated, up to 10 cm, weighing 40-70 g. Bred for the Ural climate. Does not require pollination, suitable for greenhouses and film shelters. There is resistance to perinospora and bacteriosis. Harvest used for canning.
Self-cured varieties of cucumbers for the UralsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Violet flower
- Potato variety Zest
- Rabbits of breed White Giant
- Shire Horse
Saped hybrids and cucumber varieties for the Urals are in great demand. There are types for open and closed ground. Due to the fact that these crops do not require pollination by insects, they are easier to cultivate, and even in sunless weather they usually produce good yields.
Self-cured varieties of cucumbers for the Urals
- "Cupid F1" - an early look, aging is observed for 40-45 days. Bushes without problems endure cooling or heat. Can be grown by seed or seedling. The purpose of pickling, but you can use them for summer salads.
- "Ant F1" - parthenocarpic, early appearance. After 35-39 days, you can try the first fruits. They are elongated, with tubercles, up to 12 cm. The hybrid has a strong immunity to many fungal diseases.
- "The Magnificent F1 Five" - the early hybrid ripening in 38-42 days. Fruits are 10 cm on average, weighing about 80 g. The form is elongated, the skin with small tubercles. Does not suffer from the cucumber mosaic virus, powdery mildew (real and false). The fruits of universal use. Productivity to 16 kg / m. sq. The taste is sweet, without bitterness.
- "Emerald Family F1" early appearance, maturation occurs within 40-45 days. Bushes viable, weakly branching. Bouquet of ovaries, each about fruits. Cucumber cylindrical type, up to 12 cm in length and 125 g on average. Used harvest for winter harvesting. Productivity about 15 kg / m. sq. Taste without bitterness, a lot of juice in the pulp.
- "Ekol F1" - sredneranny hybrid for cultivation in the Urals. Harvesting is observed at 42-50 days after germination. You can pick cucumbers until the end of September. Self-pollinated Zelentsy beautiful, small, up to 12 cm, weighing 50-90 g. Yield from a square of planting about 20 kg of fruit. Appointment canning.
Reviews of gardeners about varieties of cucumbers for the Urals
It is possible to grow cucumbers in the Urals, if you choose the right varieties and comply with all agronomic measures.
- Boris Kelman: “More than 3 years ago, my wife and I began to get involved in the cultivation of diverse crops in the backyard. At first, they were afraid to plant cucumbers, because in the Ural region the weather was not stable, and they might simply not mature. But, as it turned out, it is not difficult to grow them. planting we take such varieties and hybrids as “Masha F1”, “Amur F1”, “Competitor". We always plant by seedlings and make an improvised greenhouse for the first time. Cucumbers grow to stable warm weather. Productivity is sufficient for both food and spin ".
- Oleg Savchenko: “I love gardening, but since I live in the Urals region, not all crops are available for cultivation. I first started growing cucumbers when I broke a good greenhouse. I hadn’t even tried before, because we have a short summer, and there are few chances to grow quality crops In the greenhouse I plant cucumber varieties for the Urals "Marinda F1", "The Magnificent Five F1". Problems arise in growing, but you can cope with them, anyway, in greenhouses, the crop has time to ripen, fruit growing is stretched and the taste of greengrass pleases! ".
- Lilia Zernichenko: “The cucumbers are a heat-loving plant, but they grow in the Urals as well as in the southern regions, if you follow certain rules. I always take hybrids for planting (Ant Ant F1, Chernomor F1, April F1). I cultivate both in the open and in the ground, but only through the seedlings. Feeding, timely care is very important to follow, otherwise the growth of the bushes is inhibited, and the yield decreases. I harvest the crop in several steps. With normal care and choice of the variety, there is enough harvest even for sale! " .