Today, there are about 1,200 varieties of apricot in the world, but only a few of them are suitable for cultivation in the Central Black Earth region of Russia. Apricot Champion of the North is just such a variety - it withstands significant frosts, is unpretentious and has many other qualities. Detailed description, characteristics and features of cultivation are presented in this article.
Description Champion of the North
Apricot Champion of the North - medium late variety. As the name implies, it is recommended for growing in the middle and northern regions with a cool climate. He received his qualities from the variety Triumph of the North, from which he was obtained.
Pink small buds
The culture is vigorous, up to 5 meters in height. Pagons are thick, sparse crown. The first fruiting can be observed as early as 3-4 years after planting. But only by the 6th year of the tree’s life is it possible to get a full harvest (up to 25 kg). Leaflets grow medium size, light green. Flowering is observed from the end of April, when warm, rather dry weather sets. The buds are pink, small.
Fruits grow to 65 g, but you need to consider that the more of them on the tree, the smaller they are in size. The minimum weight of the fetus - 30 g. Oval shape. The skin is slightly pubescent, medium in thickness, dense. Color orange, bright, with a sunny side there is a light blush. The pulp of the same orange color, the taste is rather dry, refreshingly sweet, but the peel is sour. Drupe large, leaves the pulp without problems, the kernel is sweet.Interesting! Frozen apricot tree can heal itself. So frozen branches and even buds do not greatly reduce the crop yield.
The flesh is orange, refreshingly sweet, the drupe is large, it leaves the pulp without problems, the core is sweet
Apricot CharacteristicsRead also these articles.
- Alpine goats
- Breed geese Legart
- Rabbit Breed Butterfly
- Gooseberry variety Northern captain
With proper care, the Tree of the North Champion can live for about 30 years. And what other qualities does this variety have:
- Self-fertility - does not need pollinators. And yet, if the North Triumph or similar apricots are planted next to them, the crop yield will increase.
- Immunity is average. Culture rarely suffers from canadeniasis, but other ailments, especially fungal infections, can be affected.
- Commercial quality fruits, beautiful, fragrant, attract attention on the counter.
- The average yield of 20-35 kg / tree.
- Harvest can be transported over long distances.
- Tastes are excellent, 4.5 points out of 5 possible.
- The hardiness of the tree is high, up to -30 degrees or even higher with proper care, but color buds can freeze.
Frost resistance to -30 degrees, but color buds may freeze over
Features of planting varieties Champion of the North
In order for an apricot to produce large yields, it is important to find a good place for it to grow and lead the correct planting. The site must be:
- solar - from the south;
- on a hill or a plain so that water does not stagnate;
- with fertile soil - fertilized, the optimum pH is 7-8.5;
- with protection from at least 1-2 sides so that the tree does not grow in a draft.
It is also worth ensuring that the groundwater level is low, otherwise the roots may suffer from rot.Interesting! The more sun and heat the apricot tree receives, the sweeter the fruits will be.
It is possible to plant young saplings in the spring or in the fall. Before planting for the whole day, the seedling is visited by the roots in the water in order to restore the water balance. The pit for planting is done in about 1-2 weeks. Diameter - 60-80 cm, depth - 1 m. Planting soil is composed of the upper part of the ground, so that it was obtained when digging a hole, humus (1-2 buckets), 200-300 g of wood ash, 300 g of nitroammofoski. If the earth is clayey, heavy, peat is also added.
After planting, the ground is watered with 2-3 buckets of water.
During planting, the seedling is located in a hole on a hill of fertile land. Then the roots are straightened and gradually covered with soil from all sides. It is important to ensure that the root neck is not buried. After planting, the ground is watered with 2-3 buckets of water and, if necessary, more land is filled if the ground has settled.
Apricot careWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Chicken manure fertilizer
- Cattle Premixes
- Propolis and its medicinal properties
- Sweet Cherry Variety Astakhova
Growing apricots Northern Champion requires regular, but simple care. Each year should observe a number of mandatory procedures to obtain high yields.
- Watering is carried out about 4 times per season with an equal period of time. Under the tree should go 3-4 buckets of water to the soil is well soaked. In the rest of the time, there is enough natural rainfall in the crop.
- Fertilizing is done 3 times a year - in June, nitrogen is added, in July - nitroammofoska, and in August - a mixture of phosphorus and potassium. All fertilizers are applied strictly according to the instructions.
- Trimming is done once a year. It is important to remove not only frozen branches, but also dry, diseased, affected by pests and those that grow incorrectly.
- Preparing for winter is quite simple. It is enough just to whiten the trunk to prevent the settlement of pests on the plant. Shelter is not particularly necessary, but if there are concerns, you can simply mulch the root zone with a peat layer of 20-30 cm.
Tree up to 5 m, sparse crown
Professional gardeners who grow this crop recommend mulching the root zone for the first 2 years and systematically loosening the land so that it does not get crusted.
Diseases and pests of the variety
Apricot Champion of the North has a weak immunity to fungal diseases. Monilioz, powdery mildew and other similar diseases can be found on this tree. In order to prevent their occurrence, it is possible to carry out preventive spraying in early spring, before flowering and autumn. If the apricot is already sick, treatment agents are used at any time, but preferably not during flowering or fruiting. You can use such tools as "Topsin M", "Nitrafen", "Polyhom".
Pest Champion of the North can also be amazed. In particular, apricot suffers from aphids, moths, moths. Depending on the insect used one or another means. For example, Karbofos, Aktellik helps from aphids, Aktarin can be bought from ticks, thrips, Chlorophos from a moth, and Bi-58 New from moths.
Harvesting and processing champion of the North
Fruits ripen by the middle or end of July. Fruiting lasts for 1 month. Apricots are slowly formed and ripen, but in large quantities - the collection can be carried out in 2-3 stages. It is not recommended to keep fruit on branches for a long time, it is better to clean it immediately.
The dried fruits of the Champion of the North variety produce a very pleasant taste.
The crop is suitable for fresh consumption, in salads, desserts or for processing (canning, baking). Pleasant taste is obtained from dried fruit. And if the year was particularly fruitful, you can also freeze part of the apricots, which doesn’t spoil their taste and flavor.Interesting! When drying apricot fruits practically do not lose their useful properties.
Gardeners reviews about apricot variety Champion of the North
Opinions gardeners about apricot champion of the North are presented below.
- Nina Varskaya: "In the northern regions, growing delicious apricots is rarely obtained - little sun. But a real miracle is growing on my site - the Champion of the North. This is a unique variety that does not require serious care. The fruits are certainly not sugar, but not sour - good taste. They are dense, they are transported without problems, stored for a long time.
- Timur Kolesnik: "Apricot Variety Champion of the North was already growing in my garden when I bought it. I decided not to destroy it - the tree was young, and there were still planting several varieties of this crop. Last year I tried the variety for the first time - they are not bad, but not dessert flavor, more for processing. Harvested crop for sale, and for food I grow Apricot Monastery, Betinka and Petropavlovsk. "
- Maxim Oleinik: "Apricot Champion of the North doesn’t just get its name. As for me it has a lot of merits and is not inferior in its characteristics to the North Triumph grade. Now both these varieties grow on my site. Initially, only the Champion of the North grew, and the yield was about 20 kg per the season. But when the Northern Triumph was planted, the yield increased to 30-35 kg from one tree. So I advise everyone to try this variety - growing is not laborious even for a beginner. "