Early potatoes can be planted much earlier than late species. It is developing rapidly, resistant to short-term cold snaps and has a high yield. Potato Colombo, Dutch breeding, refers to just such varieties. It was entered to the State Register of Russia only in 2013, and appeared in Ukraine by 2015. Gardeners love this variety for taste and ease of cultivation.
The Dutch variety Colombo was obtained by crossing the varieties Agatha and Carrera. It was from his "parents" that he inherited all his virtues. He has an early ripening period. Fully tubers ripen in 50-60 days. Bushes are erect and only sometimes pagons can fall to the ground. Stems grow up to 50 cm in height. The leaves are large, green. Buds large, white-lilac color.
Buds are large, white-lilac color
Tubers grow one to one - even, beautiful, as per standard. They are oval in shape. The mass of one root crop is 100-130 g. The peel is yellow, rough, with a small number of small eyes. The flesh is pale yellow. Taste excellent.Interesting! Colombo potatoes can be grown in such regions as Central, North-West, Central Chernozem, Volgo-Vyatsky and North Caucasus. In other regions of Russia, more painstaking care may be required to get a big harvest.
Characteristics of Colombo potatoesRead also these articles.
- Mini Gilt Mini Pig
- Variety of cucumbers Phoenix
- The best varieties of broccoli with description and photo
- Chicken Drinkers
Characteristics of the Colombo variety are characterized as worthy potatoes for industrial or amateur cultivation.
- Productivity is stable, high. About 12 medium-sized potatoes are harvested from a bush, and 240-420 quintals per hectare.
- Harvesting can be done manually or mechanically.
- There is a strong immunity to some potato diseases.
The flesh is pale yellow, the taste is excellent.
- With timely spring planting in the southern regions can be harvested two crops of Colombo potatoes.
- The root crop of this variety is suitable for long transportation.
- Commercial quality at the highest level.
- Preservation of the crop during long-term storage - 95%.
- Colombo potatoes are a universal species. The starch content is 11-15%, sugars - 0.5%, dry matter - 14-16%, protein - 1.8%.
This variety has no special requirements for the composition of the land and it can grow in any climatic zone. The main thing is to take a sunny plot for it. It is best to land in May, then the earth will have time to fully warm up.
A month before planting it is necessary to germinate tubers
A month before planting it is necessary to germinate tubers. To eliminate the maximum occurrence of diseases, it is necessary to dip the tubers or spray a weak solution of potassium permanganate over them. A week before planting, the planting material is moved to a shaded place. With such preparation, the culture becomes more resistant to temperature extremes, diseases, pests and shoots appear about 10 days earlier.
The holes for planting make a depth of 5-15 cm, depending on the type of soil (in soft earth - potatoes easier to germinate). The distance between the pits is 25-35 cm. The aisle is 70-100 cm. And to make straight rows, you can stretch a thread or a bright-colored fishing line from one end of the plot to the other - along it and make even rows. When planting, it is recommended to pour in a handful of wood ash or a little crushed egg shell into each well.
Colombo Potato CareWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to feed an apple tree
- When the chickens begin to trot and how many eggs
- Katumsky sheep
- What to feed the sheep?
Caring for potatoes Colombo is a series of standard procedures.
- 5 days after planting, it is recommended to harrow to break the upper lumps of earth. This will allow sprouts to reach the surface much faster.
Watering is carried out in the evening, between the rows
- Watering is conducted in the evening, between the rows. But sprinkling for potatoes is an undesirable procedure. Natural rain for him is more than enough for the period of ripening of root crops.
- Loosening of the ground makes it possible to saturate the soil with oxygen, to fluff it up so that the root crops can easily develop in the ground. Loosen the land after irrigation or rain. At the same time, it is worthwhile to uproot weeds that prevent culture from growing and spread pests and diseases.
- Hilling hoe or hoe done 2 times. The first time this procedure is necessary when the sprouts reach 15 cm. A repeated procedure will be needed after another 2 weeks, not earlier. This helps protect potatoes from cool temperatures at night and develop a strong root.
- Fertilizers can significantly increase the yield of this potato. But, since the variety has ripened in just 2 months, only 2 supplements are enough for the season. The first is done in the spring, before flowering. Nitrogen substances are introduced at this time. The second time, after flowering, you can make potash-phosphorus mixture.
Disease prevention is done 2 times during the maturation of potatoes
- Disease prevention is done 2 times during the maturation of potatoes. If potatoes are usually not affected at the site, one treatment with fungicides (Fitosporin M, Gamar, and Maxim) in early spring will be sufficient.
- Colombo potato insects can be affected like any other species. Prevention from them can be carried out, but the majority of gardeners struggle with pests only after they appear. Such means as "Arrivo", "Inta-Vir", "Regent", "Bi-58" and the like are used.
Harvesting and storage
Fully Colombo potatoes ripen in 50-60 days, but you can dig new potatoes for 35-40 days after germination. At the same time, experts recommend collecting these potatoes no later than 60 days, otherwise the tubers may begin to be affected by pests or diseases, their shelf life, commodity and taste will decrease. They dig up potatoes on a dry day when rain is not expected. After collecting, you need to decompose the roots in the street so that they dry out and after a day you can already begin to sort them out and pack.
They dig up potatoes on a dry day when rain is not expected.Important! From the Colorado potato beetle, only very strong, chemical insecticides help. Since Colombo potatoes ripen in just 1.5-2 months, it is best not to spray it with chemicals, and collecting pests by hand is the safest and most effective method.
For the storage of Colombo potatoes it is recommended to use a dry, ventilated room with a temperature of + 2 ... +5 degrees and humidity of 60-75%. The use of varieties is universal. Colombo potatoes after cooking do not crumble very much, so it is chosen for cooking slices, although it is suitable for mashed potatoes. You can also bake this root vegetable and fry it.
Reviews gardeners about the potato variety Colombo
Opinions of gardeners about the potato variety Colombo, can be studied below.
- Inessa Staszko: “Recently, I have stopped purchasing potatoes for planting on the market and only ordering on the Internet or in stores — there are more chances to grow a high-quality crop. My last experience is Colombo potatoes. I’ll take a good yield and a good taste to positive qualities. When growing, I suffered from phytophtora, and the pests required treatment. The amount of the crop was 10 root crops from the bush, without using chemicals to increase the yield. So there is a twofold opinion, but I’m not going to call a bad variety. "
- Nikita Khromov: “I read about potatoes Colombo on the Internet and decided to try to grow. I planted in May, when the earth warmed up, sprouts appeared early and at the same time. It carried out the same treatment as after another potato - watering, loosening, hilling. Fertilizer contributed only 1 time - potassium-phosphorus, after flowering. At the time of harvesting young potatoes, there were signs of phytophthora. But he did not dare to spray the fungicides - the potatoes were almost ripe! So, partially the crop was damaged, but not all. by grade alone! ".
- Marina Ravel: I love yellow potatoes for taste and a pleasant color. I grow Colombo only for food, I mostly use it for boiling and baking. It cooks very quickly. Its flesh is soft, tender, it doesn't boil much. In terms of growing, difficulties arise only from diseases , but I already got it: I work the land and tubers before planting, I change the growing places - it kind of helps. "