Chives belong to the genus Onions. Its second common name is onion skoroda. In Europe, it has been used as a medicinal plant since the 16th century, in Russia it has been in demand in cooking as early as the 15th century. Today, it is a very famous garden crop worldwide. Chives are valued for their pleasant taste and ease of cultivation.
What is chives?
Chives are a perennial, herbaceous plant that can be grown in a vegetable garden as an annual or two year old crop. From the German name of the plant can be translated as "cut onion." The plant is resistant to frost, so it is often planted in countries with a temperate and cool climate, right under the open sky.Interesting! Popularly chives are also called chives, tribules, skoroda, Siberian or bush onions. In Asia, it is also called soh, sogan or hali.
Chives flowers can be from white to purple
The root part is an abundance of small onions in the amount of up to 20 pieces. Their color can be from white to purple. All these onions are attached to a common, short root. From the second year, each bulb forms a long arrow with a peduncle at the top. Inflorescences are umbrella balls of white, purple or even blue.
The ground part of the chives is represented by a false stem and thin tubular leaves of a saturated green color. Feathers can be in the range of 25-45 cm, depending on the growth conditions, age of the plant and variety. They are about 5-8 mm wide. At the base of the feathers are usually thickened. In about 3-4 years, a chives form a lush bush of 40-100 stems and several buds.
Leaflets and chives have a pleasant taste, without bitterness. They are similar to other types of onions, but more tender, with a strong aroma.
The Benefits and Harm of ChivesRead also these articles.
- Canned fish in autoclave
- Chicken droppings as fertilizer
- Variety Pears Just Maria
- Breed Muscovy duck (Indo-Hound)
The beneficial properties of chives are due to its composition. This onion contains many vitamins (A, B, C, E, K), minerals. The amount of sugars is not more than 3%. In the leaflets of a culture there are many amino acids (histidine, tryptophan, lysine, methionine, arginine). This culture also contains a lot of carbohydrates and proteins.
With regular use of onion skorida observed its positive effect on the human body.
- Chives improve appetite and intestinal secretory function.
- A positive effect on the work of the gallbladder, kidney, cardiovascular system.
- Removes parasites from the body and has an antimicrobial effect.
With regular use of chives, there is a general improvement in the body.
It is often used in the treatment of atherosclerosis, worms, problems with the chair, hemorrhoids, hypertension, diseases of the throat, lungs. Traditional medicine is used chives for the treatment of diseases of the reproductive system (men, women), stomach.Interesting! The benefits and harms of chives are well studied by scientists. With its regular use, there is a general improvement in the state of the body, an increase in immunity, and the appearance of hair and skin is improved.
There are some chives and some contraindications.
- It can cause harm to the body if you are hypersensitive.
- When an ulcer of the intestine, stomach, pancreatitis eat chives is not recommended. Because it can harm.
- It is contraindicated to use it in case of liver cirrhosis or hepatitis.
- With regular tachycardias, diseases of the cardiovascular system, it is not necessary to use shnitt, it can aggravate the condition.
- Regular migraines are also a reason to stop eating onions.
If you misuse or excessively use chinnitus, heartburn, headache, nausea, diarrhea can occur.
Onions are planted in gardens, orchards, flowerbeds, because in addition to its taste, it is valued for its decorative appearance. It is best to plant it in the penumbra, where he can get enough watering and a small amount of sunlight. The best predecessors are tomatoes, different types of greenery, potatoes, radishes. Tomatoes and carrots should be recommended as neighbors for this crop.Important! It is not recommended to plant chives next to beans, peas, cabbage and beets.
They plant Schnitt onions in rows, placing onions at a distance of 25-30 cm
Growing chives can be carried out in different types of soil. But if the ground is very heavy, before sowing onions it is worth adding to each square of the plot a bucket of humus (compost) and sand. Sowing onions is carried out in the spring (approximately in the beginning of May). Onions are planted in rows, placing onion at a distance of 25-30 cm. Aisle can be made 45-50 cm. If seeds are used, not onions, they are buried in the ground to a depth of 1 cm, without observing the distance between the seeds.
The first shoots can be expected in 1-1,5 weeks. After the appearance of 1 of this leaf can be thinned. It is usually made when the onion is sown with seeds. Between plants during thinning should be left at least 10 cm of free space.
Care of ChivesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- When the chickens begin to trot and how many eggs
- Black carrot
- How to cut currants in the fall
- What to feed the lambs
Among many other types of onions, chives are distinguished by simple care and high, stable yields.
- Watering should be moderate, but abundant. This culture without moisture will not grow for long. It is important that the ground is always a little wet, not dry. So during a drought, much more water is required to be brought into the land. If there is not enough water for the onions, the greens will become hard and the taste will spoil.
- Loosening the land is the most important part of caring for chnitt in the first year of crop growth. It is necessary to break coarse lumps of earth and upper crust, so that the young sprouts could just get through to the sun.
Loosening the ground is the most important part of caring for chnitt in the first year
- Weed removal is carried out during the weeding of the beds. And so that weeds grow less, after the emergence of onions, it is possible to mulch the beds.
- From the second year of growth, chives can be regularly fertilized. The first feeding is carried out after the leaves are stretched up to 25 cm. It is best to use ash for these purposes. It just scattered on the garden or plant. You can also make a solution of litter (1:20 with water) or humus (1:15). But after making it is necessary to water the plant on top.
- Closer to the autumn you need to cut all the dry parts of the plant. So that they do not start disease, pests.
Harvesting and Harvesting
For the year, chives can be cut 3-4 times or as needed. It is advisable to do this when growing green by 25 cm or more. The first cut should be in the middle of May, and the last at the end of September. Thus, the culture can recover before frost.
Chives, like most other types of onions, have different beneficial properties. It is used as a spice or an ingredient in many dishes. It brings the most benefit when used fresh, but it is also suitable for boiling, frying, drying and even freezing. Often it is put in the first, second dishes, added to sauces, dressings, gravy and pastries.
For the year, chives can be cut 3-4 times or as neededImportant! The chives are kept poorly, like any other greens, so it is not worth collecting them for future use. And so that it does not spoil any longer, it is recommended to immediately put it in a refrigerator or similar cool room after collection.
It is often used chives in the preparation of medicines and cosmetics. It helps not only with diseases of various organs, but also with skin diseases. With the help of effective ointments, compresses, juice from this onion, you can:
- cure acne;
- remove freckles;
- improve hair condition;
- get rid of dandruff;
- cure corns;
- help restore water balance to dry skin;
- cure the fungus.
Apply onions in medicine and cosmetology separately or in combination with other ingredients. Depending on the effect you need to get from it, it is mixed with honey, eggs, lemon juice, sugar or other ingredients.
Popular varieties of chives
Popular varieties of chives
On sale you can find many different varieties of chives. They differ in the period of ripening, taste, and some external qualities. Among the most popular types of chives for central Russia and more northern regions are Chemal, Prague, and Elvi.
Varieties "Bohemia" and "Medonos" are recommended for cultivation as a perennial crop. If you need a variety for cultivation as a one-year or two-year-old, you should pay attention to the "Chemal" or "Prague." In this case, it is the "Prague" chives that give early, juicy greens. As a delicious shnitta with decorative qualities, we can recommend the Khibinsky variety. He gives a tall arrow with beautiful, purple buds. A variety of "Forescate" and "Album" give white and bright pink inflorescences. From May to late autumn, they are very beautiful, well-dressed, so they are often planted in flower beds, along fences, curbs.
Chives are a useful culture used in cooking, medicine and cosmetology. It has an excellent taste and rich aroma. Sometimes it is also grown as a decorative appearance. And with proper care, it will also give great harvests.