Mealy dew is a known disease that threatens cultivated plants. It affects all above-ground parts of crops, including leaves, branches and fruits. Mealy dew on the gooseberry appears quite often. This article describes what this disease is and how to recognize it. Information is also given on how to get rid of the disease in case of occurrence.
What is powdery mildew?
Mealy dew is a fungal disease. The causative agent of Sphaerotheca mors-uvae Berk. Et Curt. This fungus belongs to the class of ascomycetes. As it develops, the fungus goes through two stages - conidial and marsupial. White plaque that appears on plants - conidial sporification, mycelium, through which the rapid, massive spread of the disease.
The scheme of the annual cycle of powdery mildew
In the summer, the disease enters marsupial development when the plaque becomes brown. This brown patina is a mixture of mycelium and fruit bodies. After hibernation, in the spring, in the bodies of fruit, suckospores ripen and are thrown away, falling on the neighboring branches and cultures. They ensure the further development and spread of the disease. The causative agent of the fungus affects only the young tissue of cultures - young leaves, fruits, ovaries, branches.Important! Mealy dew winters always on the affected stems, plant buds.
How to recognize powdery mildewRead also these articles.
- Raspberry Polana - variety description
- What can not feed the rabbits
- Carrot Nantes
- Andalusian horse
The mealy dew on the gooseberry appears after a lesion, and you can notice its appearance within a fortnight. If the culture has been affected since autumn, then already when the leaves are blooming, signs of illness can be replaced. Different parts of the culture are covered with a white mealy bloom, which is easily erased with a light touch.
Mealy dew is a fungal diseaseImportant! Powdery mildew is most comfortable in thickened plantings at + 20 ... +30 ° C.
The affected leaves of the plant are usually quickly deformed, the ovary is strewed, and the berries shrivel and wither. If the disease is not treated, the ponds are bent, their growth stops and they die. In the summer the mealy film gets a brown shade and is taken by the crust.
How to process gooseberries
Measures to combat the disease on the gooseberry depend on when the culture is affected and how much the problem has spread. If an ailment appeared on the plant in the spring, an urgent response must be taken, otherwise the condition of the plant will worsen and as a result the gooseberry may not produce any crop at all! So, than to process in the spring a gooseberry that he recovered and recovered in a short time? For this, chemical or biological fungicides are used.
Effective remedies for mealy dew on gooseberry
- “HOM” is the most effective remedy for powdery mildew, but it is chemical and therefore not all gardeners risk using it. 40 g of the substance is diluted in 10 liters of water, stirred and used once before the appearance of the buds on the gooseberry.
- The solution of copper sulphate is the first option than to treat the gooseberry in spring, if a fungus is seen on it. 75 grams of chopped household soap, 20 grams of blue vitriol are taken for 5 liters of water. The resulting solution has a blue reflux and a uniform consistency. Spraying is carried out before the appearance of buds on the bushes.
- "Topaz" is a strong powdery mildew fungicide. Apply it strictly according to the instructions, so as not to harm the cultures - 2 ml of the substance is mixed with 10 liters of water. Spraying this tool is usually carried out after flowering. But, if the ailment is started, then treatment is carried out 2 times - before and after flowering.
Stock Foto Powdery Dew on Gooseberry BerriesImportant! If the powdery mildew appears on the gooseberry often, spraying from it is carried out 2-3 times per season. In this case, you need to use a new drug each time, then the fungus will not be able to adapt to it.
Effective are such tools as "Previkur", "Vitaros", "Skor".
Folk remedies for powdery mildewWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to dry apples
- Planting onions before winter
- Beer pear variety
- Fat-tailed ram
Very often, gardeners and gardeners are interested in what to treat in the spring or autumn of the affected gooseberries. But most of all the questions are caused by summer processing, because at this time the crop ripens. If the plant is not badly affected or in the case when berries are already ripening on it, only folk remedies are used.
- Wood ash solution. In a bucket of boiling water dissolve a liter jar of wood ash. Then, you need to add 30 g of soap to the solution so that the liquid sticks better to the leaves. Such processing is carried out after 2 days, as soon as the infusion is a little defended. Spraying is done 2 times with a break of 10 days.
- Onion peel is filled with water and infused for 6-8 hours. After that, it is used for spraying the bushes. However, this method is effective only in the early stages, when the disease has just appeared.
Folk remedies for powdery mildew
- Half a bucket of garlic shooter is cut and poured with water (to the upper edge of the bucket). Insist the solution need a day. Then it is used for spraying. But you need to spray so that the tool fell on the back side of the leaves, and not just on the front.
- 50 g of soda is dissolved in a bucket of hot water. You also need to add a few grams of laundry soap, so that the product adheres better to the leaves. After complete cooling of the product, the bushes can be processed, and after a week the procedure is repeated.
- On 1 part of serum 10 parts of water are taken. The tool is stirred and used to spray gooseberries 2 times with a break of a week.
- 10 liters of water are taken for 10 drops of iodine. The resulting composition is treated bushes twice with a break of 3 days.
- Rapeseed oil is effective against the fungus on the gooseberry, reducing the amount of fungus at times. To create the working composition, 10 ml of rapeseed oil is mixed with a liter of water. The resulting liquid sprayed gooseberries.
- On a bucket of boiling water is taken 2 tablespoons of dry mustard. When the liquid has cooled, it is stirred and used to treat bushes. One procedure is enough if the powdery mildew on the gooseberry has just appeared.
- 1 part of mullein is diluted with 2 parts of water. After 4 days, when the agent is infused, it is mixed in a ratio of 1:10 with clean water.
Timely pruning of affected shoots will prevent complete loss of the crop
Processing gooseberry bushes is always carried out in the evening, when the sun is setting. If the procedure is carried out during the day, the leaves and stems can get burned. In addition, it is desirable that the weather was not overcast, because if it rains after treatment, there will be practically no benefit from the procedure.
Mealy dew on the gooseberry will not appear, if timely carry out preventive procedures.
- It is necessary to plant gooseberry bushes at a distance of 1.5 meters from each other so that they are illuminated from all sides by sunlight. The disease does not like the abundance of light, so that the site is better to pick up the sun.
- Bushes need to be thinned in time so that they are not thickened. In addition, it is necessary to prune all damaged and damaged pagons twice a year and burn them together with fallen leaves.
Photo powdery mildew on the leaves
- In early spring, as soon as the snow melts, you need to water the bushes with hot water (90 ° C). It is advisable to add a little potassium permanganate. The resulting fluid should be pale pink. If there is no potassium permanganate, you can also take baking soda (2 tbsp. Per bucket of water). This will destroy the fungal diseases and eggs of many pests.
- In the autumn, next to each bush, it is necessary to dig up the ground from the bushes to a depth of 15 cm. Spores of fungi that were in the ground will be on the surface and freeze. Soil can also be treated with a solution of Fitosporin-M.
- From spring to late autumn, it is necessary to loosen the soil under the bushes. Branches and berries should not touch the ground.
- For prophylaxis should be sprayed with infusion of wood ash. Infusion is made from 1 kg of ash and 10 liters of hot water. After infusion for 4 days you need to add 30 g of soap to the infusion. Spraying spend 3 times at intervals of 1-2 days.
- Another prophylactic solution is made from tansy. 300 g of tansy need to take a bucket of water. After the remedy is infused in a dark place for a day, it is necessary to boil it for 2 hours over a low flame. After complete cooling, the agent is used to water the soil around the plants.
For prophylaxis it is recommended to spray the infusion of wood ash.Important! It is not recommended to use fresh manure for fertilizer, because it may contain powdery mildew spores.
- Nitrogen fertilizers of any type increase the susceptibility of plants to powdery mildew spores. It is better to use mineral mixtures in which the amount of nitrogen is low. And only nitrogenous substances are applied no more than once a year - in early spring, and if the plant really needs fertilizer.
Powdery mildew resistant varieties
The easiest way to prevent the appearance and development of powdery mildew on gooseberries is to plant varieties that are immune to this ailment. Varieties of gooseberry resistant to fungus are primarily: "Kolobok", "Finnish", "Ural Grape", "Kuibyshevsky", "Houghton", "Senator", "African", "Jubilee", "Harlequin".Important! Gooseberry varieties that do not have spikes on the pagon are less likely to suffer from powdery mildew.
For gardeners who do not want to get involved with powdery mildew on gooseberries, you also need to know what types of crops are prone to the disease. Among the species that are often affected by the fungus, one should name the gooseberries "Russian", "Golden Light", "Triumphal", "Seedling Lefora", "Prune".