Musk duck is widely known in farming. It is a gain in cultivation, so it can often be found in large and small farmsteads. This is a meat bird that can grow up to 4 kg. In growing and care, it is unpretentious. Even young farmers are good at breeding Muscovy ducks at home.
Breed description Muscovy duck
The Muscovy duck is also called the Indootka, although it has nothing in common with turkeys. People often call her a dumb duck or a spike, because she often hisses. Known breed since ancient times. This type of duck got its main name due to the fat that is released from the growth at the beak - it has the aroma of musk.
The name of these ducks received because of the fat that is released from the growth at the beak - it has the aroma of musk
The duck has an atypical appearance. This is a large bird with a developed chest, short legs and neck. The wings are well developed. The plumage is mostly dark (chocolate, brown, black), but there are also white, blue feathers.
Females and males can be distinguished by their appearance:
- females are small;
- the drakes have brighter plumage;
- the male has a triangular forehead;
- the beak of females is smaller than that of males;
- The drakes have a tuft on the back of the head.
Wing Indoutok well developed
The characters of these birds are also slightly different. The drakes are more restless, aggressive, and the females have a good-natured disposition, flexible, non-conflicting.Important! Muscovy ducks immediately eat everything that glitters. Therefore, in the aviary they should not have glass fragments, metal objects - the site is regularly cleaned.
Musk Duck EfficiencyRead also these articles.
- What grain to feed laying hens
- Chinese cabbage
- How to plant strawberries in spring in open ground and greenhouse
- Summer apple varieties
Musk-breed ducks have a number of positive and negative qualities that it is important for farmers to know that they want to breed them. Below are the productive features, characteristics inherent in this species.
- Musk duck eggs give large, while females can give eggs almost every day. The yolks have a rich, bright yellow color.
- Weight of individuals depends on gender. Females grow up to 4 kg on average, and males up to 6 kg.
- Birds grow very slowly, which is the main disadvantage of the species.
The taste of meat is excellent, dietary
- The taste of meat is excellent, dietary. It is red, contains many useful elements. The main quality is that there is little fat in this duck, and brisket is the most delicious part.
- Females have developed maternal instinct, can incubate eggs.
Muscovy duck is very hardy, quickly adapts to different climatic conditions, characteristics of the content.
- Muscovy duck can not stand crush. In order for the bird to grow normally, develop, multiply, you need to equip a spacious poultry house. Per square meter should be no more than 4 individuals!
- In the room where the birds live, drafts and dampness are excluded. If the house is constantly wet, the ducks will start to hurt.
- The litter is made from hay or sawdust. It is changed as it is polluted, sometimes turned over.
For the Muscovy duck to develop harmoniously, it needs a reservoir.
- Indo-duck maintenance can also be carried out in regions with cold winters, but in this case they need to warm up the ducklings or carry out heating. Indoors, the temperature should be maintained at + 18 degrees Celsius in winter.
- Nests for females are made comfortable, large, so that females feel comfortable not only carrying eggs in them, but also incubating future offspring.
- Perches make wide, comfortable, can be in the form of large shelves, steps along the wall. On one individual about 30 cm of free space or a little more is given.
- Muscovy ducks can be grown outside the reservoir for a long time, but if you give the bird access to water, productivity and appearance, health will improve. At the same time, walking for this breed is required! The corral is fenced with a high fence; a weatherproof canopy is made.
How and what to feed Muscovy duckWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Foxy Chick Chickens
- Sunflower cake
- Strawberry Clery
- Bee pollen
In feeding the muscled duck is picky. This is an omnivorous bird. You can feed it with dry food, animal feed or wet mash. The latter are made up of shredded root crops, greenery, steamed grains. You can also add meat and bone meal, premixes, meal, dairy products.
Birds love to eat greens from ponds. If there is no access to water, they move to the forage food - worms, greens, insects.
In food Muscovy duck is pickyImportant! Drinkers and feeders in the house should be several, so as not to create a queue for food or water.
Feeders for food are washed daily, before falling asleep food. Drinking bowls wash during water change. Several times a month they must be thoroughly disinfected with detergents.
Breeding at home
It is possible to breed musk duck at home by a natural method or through an incubator. To produce fertilized eggs, there should be 1 male for 3-4 females. In this case, related ducks are seated in separate pens, because when mixing the blood specimens, pathologies may occur in young animals! Females are very good mothers. They do not leave the egg-laying until the last chick hatches. That is why most often farmers breed propagation by the natural method.
Muscovy ducks are very good mothers
Breeding at home can be carried out through an incubator. However, incubating musk ducks is a laborious process. Eggs must be constantly looked after. The problem is that the egg in a horizontal position quickly becomes covered with a dense shell that does not allow air to pass, therefore the embryo literally suffocates in the shell and dies. In the first 15 days of incubation, constant turning of the eggs is carried out; the temperature and humidity should be raised. In the last 15 days, the temperature is slightly reduced, and the eggs are regularly turned and sprayed.Important! Young animals are particularly prone to the appearance of disease. It is necessary to follow it closely, to approach feeding responsibly, to add premixes to food. When any suspicion of illness, it is recommended to immediately contact the veterinarian.
Ducklings grow slowly, so counting on a rapid increase in body weight is meaningless. If the ducklings have a female who has spent them, then they are simply given to her care after birth. She takes care of their well-being and health.
If the ducklings have a female who has spent them, then they are simply given to her to care.
Feed the birds need a certain pattern. On the first day of life is given only chopped boiled egg. From 2 days add to the food the mash of eggs and milk. From 3 days cottage cheese is introduced. Weekly ducklings should already eat greens, begin to get used to steamed cereal cereals. And from 14 days such roots as beets, potatoes and carrots are displayed in the diet.
Older individuals can cut the wings so that they do not fly over the fence in the pen. From about 3-5 weeks they are settled in the house with adults.
Muscovy duck reviews
Muscovy duck has almost no flaws. Farmers reviews about it can be read below.
- Vaclav Dinega: “Muscovy ducks were brought last year with his wife. They bought adult individuals. After 3 months, the female sat on the eggs and cared for them until the young hatched. The chicks were left for the first time at the female to check how she looked after them, but fed separately. Individuals grew big, but one duckling died - it got wet in the drinking bowl and fell ill. The main problems of the indoutok are birds that fly high and grow for a long time. Otherwise, the breed is very good and grow it is a pleasure! "
- Natalia Pysanka: “I wanted to breed musk ducks for a long time, but it was not possible to buy them. A couple of years ago I decided to purchase them. I bought 10 specimens for trial. They quickly settled down, the birds are very calm, inactive - they don’t sit in place. We release them to to the reservoir, they also have spacious walking. Ducks are pleasing with productivity. The bird is beautiful, but it is simple in rearing - even for young farmers it will be suitable. "
- Rita Gunko: “I started growing musk ducks 3 years ago. I formed the first family of 1 drake and 4 females. I tried to breed them in the incubator, but my first experience failed, so to say, only 65% were bred. Now I try to breed a bird in a natural way, and only as a last resort I use an incubator. I grow young individuals in a brooder. They grow slowly, but they are not picky in feeding and care, which is convenient and profitable. "