When choosing ducks for home breeding, special attention should be paid to the Cherry Valley breed. These birds are characterized by high egg production and give a lot of nutritious, tasty meat. Cherry Valley ducks were bred in England, at the end of the last century, on the basis of the Peking breed. This species is in great demand among farmers due to the abundance of positive qualities.
Description of the breed of ducks Cherry Valley
Outwardly, the Cherry Valley duck looks like a Peking duck breed. The mass of females - 3.4-3.7 kg, males - up to 4 kg. Their body is oblong, the chest is wide. The legs are thick, red or orange in color, close to the tail. In adults, there is a large fat layer, the muscles are developed unevenly. The neck is thick, medium sized head. The forehead is convex. The eyes are dark blue. The beak is curved, yellow-orange. Plumage dense, white.
Plumage is dense, whiteInteresting! Breeders distinguish two breed lines - father and maternal. The maternal line is characterized by increased egg production, and the father - by a rapid set of body weight.
Characteristics of Cherry Valley ducksRead also these articles.
- Stanley Plum Sort (Stanley)
- Calving cow
- The best varieties of black currant
- Breed of hens the Phoenix
The breed has high quality characteristics, for which it is valued by farmers around the world.
- Individuals grow quite quickly. Birds at 7 weeks of life already weigh about 2.5-3.5 kg. It is at this age that they are usually allowed to be slaughtered. The weight of the carcass after slaughter is 66-68%.
- Poultry meat is red in color, harsh in comparison with white meat, but rather gentle, with excellent taste. Meat nutritious, contains many minerals, vitamins in the composition.
Mass of carcass after slaughter - 66-68%Important! Cherry Valley duck meat is not dietary, because it is absorbed by the body for a long time.
- The safety of adult birds - 98%, young - 95%.
- Females begin to be born from 6-7 months of life.
- Females can produce 120-150 eggs of high quality per year.
- The mass of one egg is about 100 g.
Maintenance and care
The maintenance and care of the duck breed Cherry Valley is picky. In order for ducks to fly, grow, settle in a comfortable house and follow some important rules of care.
- The room for keeping the ducks is made on the basis that up to 3 individuals per square meter.
- The room temperature should always be above zero. In winter, it should not fall below +5 degrees. If it is necessary to receive eggs from ducks in winter, then the temperature in the room rises to +15 degrees Celsius. In addition, ventilation should be established in the duck.
- Peat, straw or hay are used as bedding. The litter is changed every 3 months or a little more.
- Duck perches are wide bars. They are attached to the walls, at a height of 20 cm from the floor. Nests should be sufficient for all females (1 nest for 3 ducks).
In the spring and summer the bird is released to swim.Important! Dampness and drafts in the house are excluded, otherwise individuals will be ill.
- A light day for Cherry Valley ducks should last 12 hours. To achieve this, artificial lighting is done indoors. Lamp set a little inside should not be very bright. Distribute light bulbs evenly over the ceiling.
- In order for the birds to clean the feathers, a basin with sand and ash is placed in the duckling. Change this mixture every 20-30 days.
- Cleaning is carried out frequently so that there is no dirt inside. Birds have white plumage, so they can quickly become smeared. So all surfaces in the duck, troughs, troughs, nests and perches should be cleaned as often as possible.
- Walking settles down spacious. In spring and summer, birds are released to swim. If not near a reservoir, it is worth making a small “pool” for birds or simply putting a wide basin, a bath with water.
Possible diseasesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to get rid of dandelions
- Canned cucumbers
- Animal silo
- How to grow garden strawberries
Cherry Valley ducks have high immunity and resistance to a wide variety of ailments. And yet they can hurt in some cases. For example, if you have an unhealthy diet, they have a deficiency of vitamins, which in turn leads to diseases like conjunctivitis, beriberi. The lack of any substances can be seen on the behavior of birds. Usually they begin to eat small stones, sawdust, pluck feathers. To solve the problem, the diet is improved, premixes are included in the feed.
Cherry Valley ducks have high immunity and resistance to a wide variety of ailments.
In addition, sudden changes in temperature lead to colds, omphalitis or catarrhs. The main symptoms are inactivity, loss of appetite. If a bird is given a stale food, then problems with bowels and stools begin.
So that the birds do not hurt, and if something happens, they quickly recovered, you need to call a veterinarian at the first signs of illness. Patients are usually isolated and treated by a veterinarian. The rest of the herd is undergoing prophylactic treatment.
How to feed the Cherry Valley ducks
In order for Cherry Valley ducks to develop properly and grow quickly, it is necessary to create a balanced diet for them. They feed the birds of this breed in different ways. You can use feed, dry cereal mixtures, granulated vegetables with vitamins, wet mash with greens and vegetables.
Food is given 2-3 times a day.
Food is given 2-3 times a day. If the birds are allowed to walk outside during the day, then you need to feed only 2 times - morning and evening, but if the ducks do not walk during the day, you must feed them 3 times a day.
In winter, the diet includes premixes, young branches of plants, silage, vegetables, germinated grains. This allows you to diversify food, improve the absorption of food in the cold season and reduce the risk of beriberi.
Cherry Valley duck eggs begin to carry in 7 months or a little earlier. The bird has maternal instinct, therefore breeding is usually carried out by a natural method. At a time, up to 20 eggs can be laid in the female nest.
The first couple of days the female just sits on the eggs. From 3 days she can sometimes get up to drink or eat. If she does not do this, you need to carry her yourself to the water, food (feeding trough and drinking bowl are placed next to the nest) and then plant it on the eggs again.
Up to 20 eggs can be laid under the duck at a timeImportant! When the ducks just sat on the eggs, in no case should they be disturbed for the first 2 days. The bird should get used to laying, get used to its role. At this time, it is very easy to frighten her off and then she will just get up and will not return to the eggs!
Hatching ducklings grow quickly and almost do not get sick due to the developed immunity. They are covered with thick, yellow down. The female can look after the young itself, so the cultivation is not laborious, but the breeder should be engaged in feeding.
The first 10 days youngsters give chopped eggs, cottage cheese, mixed with kefir. From the fifth day also include chopped greens (nettle burnt with boiling water, onion feathers, clover). From 11 days in the diet should already have roots and cereal mash for adults. Each new product is introduced into the diet gradually to see the reaction of ducklings to it. It is mandatory in the poultry house where the young are grown, there must be clean, fresh water, which is changed several times a day.
Hatching ducklings grow quickly and almost do not get sick due to the developed immunity
Reviews of Cherry Valley ducks
Farmers opinion of the Cherry Valley ducks can be found in the reviews below.
- Svetlana Bogorodova: “I decided to try to breed Cherry Valley ducks, because they are grown even in large poultry farms, which means they are profitable. And as it turned out, this is true. Birds grow quickly, their meat is very tasty, juicy, but harder than chicken, which is quite logical. Growing not difficult. The main problems of this species are that birds need daily walks and drink a lot of water. "
- Oksana Mishina: "Cherry Valley ducks like productivity, appearance and simplicity. At one time they were grown almost without walking. Birds were naughty, shouted a lot, ate poorly. Then they built an aviary, made a small pond and the situation has changed completely. Now our ducks are rushing into 2 times better, they have become calmer, it is difficult to compare meat to taste, but birds now grow larger and there is not much fat in them as expected. In general, I recommend the breed - it is worth the effort and money spent on it. "
- Galina Chebotareva: “Cherry Valley was grown for many years, but then they decided to experiment with other breeds. The choice fell on the Mularda and the Tempo breed. They are somewhat better in productivity, but in terms of growing Cherry Valley is much more profitable, so we bought ourselves a small herd again. Birds they are quiet, they behave quietly, the main thing is to provide them with conditions for a full life and feed them on time. By the way, about feeding - if you let them out for a walk and swim, the feed consumption decreases by 1.5-2 times! "