Gooseberry Northern captain was entered in the state register of Russia in 2007. It is highly resistant to frost, so it is grown mainly in the central and northern regions. This is a self-fertile plant, so it can be grown separately, not planting pollinators near the variety. But not only these qualities are famous for the gooseberry variety Northern captain. About its advantages and disadvantages, features of cultivation, you can learn from this article.
Description of the gooseberry variety North Captain
Berries burgundy, very beautiful, weakness venation
Gooseberry variety North captain - srednepozdny. Bushes grow medium height, sprawling, but the place does not take much. Crohn dense, has many branches. Young pagons are medium in thickness, green, without pubescence. Old branches are stiff, medium thick and gray. There are spikes, but not many of them. Thorns are sharp, thin, up to 7 mm long, located at the base of the shoot. The buds are always elongated, with a pointed tip, brown, without a gun.
Leaves are three-lobed, large, dark green, no pubescence. Leaf plate weakly wrinkled, wavy, weakly concave. The teeth on the edge are large. The leaves are arranged on long cuttings, of medium thickness. Flowers are collected in brushes of 2-3 things. The flowers are oval, large, sepals green with red stripes on the edge.Important! Gooseberry Northern captain has spines. So when working with a bush need to be careful.
The taste is sour, the seeds are small, but tangible
Berries burgundy color, very beautiful. Venation is weak. Form rounded, slightly elongated, the weight of the berries - 3.5-4 g on average. The peel is dense, protects the fruit from mechanical damage, damage. The taste is sour. Seeds are small, but tangible.
Virtues of the varietyRead also these articles.
- Honey extractor - what is it, species
- White raid on gooseberry berries
- The best breeds of decorative rabbits for home keeping
- Top dressing of winter wheat
Gooseberry Northern captain inferior to some varieties to taste, but otherwise its characteristics only delight gardeners.
- The plant is very well rooted and quickly grows.
- Berries are suitable for long transportation.
- Gooseberry has commercial quality.
- The berries are well kept on the branches and do not fall off after full ripening.
- Productivity is high. From a single adult bush, up to 4 kg of berries can be obtained per season.
- High frost resistance.
The berries keep well on the branches and do not fall off after full ripening.
- There is immunity to many diseases, and especially to powdery mildew. Shrubs also normally tolerate attacks of pests, quickly recovering from damage.
Gooseberry Disadvantages Northern Captain
There are not many flaws in the Northern Captain variety, but some of them are quite significant.
- The bush is quite thick. This complicates harvesting and plant care.
- Tastes are low - the taste is more sour than sweet and not everyone likes.
- The berries are small, they are quite difficult to collect, especially given the fact that the bush has thorns.
Features planting gooseberryWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Coccidiosis in rabbits
- Pruning old apple trees
- The best varieties of dill
- Marble pear variety
Before planting, the bushes are pruned - up to 5 buds are left on each branch.
A place for growing gooseberries Northern captain is chosen sunny. Groundwater should not be high. This variety does not like swampy, lowland areas. Earth, gooseberry Northern captain loves loamy, slightly acidic. If the earth is acidic, then limestone or dolomite flour is added to it before planting. It is preferable to plant the gooseberry Northern captain in the fall - September-October. In rare cases, it is planted in the spring - between the thawing of the soil and the swelling of the kidneys.Important! Before planting, the bushes are pruned - up to 5 buds are left on each branch. All dry roots need to be removed.
Bushes varieties Northern captain planted at a distance of 1.5 meters from each other. The depth of the landing pit - 50 cm, the diameter is the same. At the bottom of the pit poured the earth, mixed with ash and humus, phosphorus and potassium. Poured her slide. A sapling is placed on this hill at an angle, the roots are laid out and covered with earth. The root neck is buried 3-5 cm, not more. After planting, the bush is watered, the ground is packed up.
It is not difficult to grow a productive bush of the Northern captain, the main thing is to carry out the main agrotechnical measures.
- Watering is needed moderate, because this variety does not tolerate the abundance of moisture. In early spring, moisture from the melted snow is enough for him. In late spring you can spend 1-2 watering, no more. Be sure to water the bush also during fruit set and as the crop ripens.
Watering is needed moderate, because this variety does not tolerate the abundance of moisture
- Trimming is carried out every year. Cut off all the old branches (over 6 years) to thin out the bush. Adult branches are usually shortened by half, so that they branch, it is also necessary to cut off all the sick and twisted pagons. Pruning bad branches is carried out at the root - do not leave stumps. On a productive bush, there are usually up to 25 branches aged 3-6 years.
- In the first 2 years the bushes do not feed. But with 3 years of growth, you can begin to apply fertilizer. Feed gooseberries once a year, in spring. 5-10 kg of humus, 80 g of superphosphate, 20 g of potassium chloride and 40 g of ammonium nitrate are added to the bush.
- Treatment for pests and diseases is carried out 2 times a year for prevention. Insecticides and broad-spectrum fungicides are used. If the plant is sick, then it is treated with chemicals to the bush as soon as possible recovered.
Trimming is done every year.
- In winter, gooseberries can not be insulated. It does not freeze even in very cold regions. But if in doubt, you can mulch the root zone with humus or peat, a layer of 20 cm.
Harvesting and processing
Gooseberry berries Northern captain ripen by mid-summer. They can be collected immediately after they mature, but not necessarily - they can be stored on the branches without falling off. Harvest able to lie long. Within 1-2 weeks it does not deteriorate.Interesting! Even with poor care, the North Captain variety produces high yields of 2 kg / year!
Harvest is most often used for processing. Berries are suitable for canning, freezing, drying. Delicious is baking and desserts, when using this gooseberry. At the same time, not everyone will like the taste of fresh berries, because they are sour.
With gooseberry Northern captain get delicious pastries and desserts
Reviews gooseberry variety North captain
Reviews of gardeners and gardeners about the gooseberry Northern captain, its cultivation and use of the crop, can be found below.
- Tatyana Zhuravleva: “In cultivation, the North Captain variety is a pleasure. Bushes grow by themselves, I rarely make fertilizer, I don’t put up for the winter. The yield is sufficient for personal use. The only drawback is that the berries are not very sweet, so I use other varieties for food, but I put this gooseberry on compotes, preserves. After boiling it doesn’t spoil the taste, so the preservation comes out - you will yank your fingers!
- Olga Shilova: "Gooseberry Northern Captain is distinguished by high yield and resistance to a wide variety of ailments. Bushes do not take up much space, the plant develops very quickly, the ponds grow straight upwards. Last year, winter was unusually cold, some currant bushes were frozen out on my site, neighbors and gooseberries died, but my Northern captain endured the winter without problems. "
- Mikhail Geymur: “I love this variety very much, although it has quite a few drawbacks. For me, this is a source of canning berries. It makes beautiful, rich color jam. And if you add other fruits and put enough sugar in, you won't hear the acid of the berries. The main problems are thorns and bush density. It is not recommended to cut it strongly, but due to the abundance of branches and thorns, harvesting turns into a real test! "