The Kholmogory breed of geese is distinguished by its simplicity of maintenance, excellent health, and high-quality, tasty meat. Among the meat breeds of geese, this is considered the most appropriate for keeping on the farm, in the village or in the country, especially if there is a small body of water nearby.
When did the breed appear?
The species appeared many years ago on the territory of Russia by the method of national selection. To obtain a new breed, simple white Russian geese and Chinese (egg-laying) were used. Individuals were selected taking into account the increase in body weight in grazing conditions.
The result exceeded expectations. Kholmogory geese breed has excellent health and is considered one of the most productive meat of sebaceous or heavy breeds in the world.
Characteristics and description of Kholmogory geeseRead also these articles.
- How to plant strawberries in spring in open ground and greenhouse
- When to plant pepper in seedlings in 2019
- Grape variety Timur
- Chereshnya Revna
Characteristic Kholmogory geese
The breed has a remarkable appearance. The representatives of the species have a strong constitution, the body is horizontal, the back is rather long, straight, the chest is wide and slightly rounded. All parts of the body are proportional, the neck is not very long and not thick, the eyes are small, dark. The paws are well developed, have orange-pink color.
On the forehead there is a cone-shaped growth, which abruptly turns into a curved beak. Geese of the Kholmogory breed come in several colors: white, gray, and pied. The bulge on their foreheads is orange, and the beak is pink with spaces of the same orange. But in white birds these colors are light, while in gray and piebald they are dark. Under the beak, all individuals have a large fold, the so-called "wallet", and on the stomach - two folds.
The maximum weight of the males, according to the standard, is 12 kg, and the females - 8 kg. Egg production - 25-30 eggs per year, each 180-200 g. Goslings grow quickly. Usually they are killed by week 9, when they already weigh 4-4.5 kg.
What are the conditions of detention?
Kholmogory breed is resistant to different weather conditions. They are not afraid of cold, they can even float at low temperatures, the main thing is that there is no ice on the water. On land, they need a properly equipped house. When arranging the goose, it is important to observe certain conditions.
Conditions of keeping geese
- The room can be used ready or rebuilt, but there should be enough space for all the geese so that they do not crowd or interfere with each other. Each bird is usually assigned 1 m.2. Sometimes geese are kept in cages. In this case, the space for each individual should be even greater.
- Inside it is worth keeping dryness and cleanliness, for this the room is occasionally ventilated, cleaned in a timely manner. The litter is made from peat, straw - in winter, and sand, sawdust, straw cutting - in summer. They need to be cleaned often, as soon as it is clear that they have become soiled, but at least once a week! During harvesting, the top wet layer of sawdust is removed and dried dry. The more often this is done, the smaller layer needs to be changed. If the house is very dirty, you will have to completely change the sand and sawdust. Each year, each individual takes 40 kg of litter. But if it is not changed, the feathers of the birds become wet, they begin to eat more to warm up and get sick.
- Drafts are undesirable. This place should be protective, so that the birds can rest and warm up after the frost.
- Of course, the place must be protected from predators, even if it is a street cat. It is also recommended to carry out pest control in time to avoid the breeding of parasites and small rodents.
- Inside it is necessary to place feeders and drinkers, nests. It is necessary to hang feeders and drinkers for adults at a distance of 50 cm from the floor. It is important that the feeders are comfortable, and they are enough for all birds.
In addition to the house, you will need a place for walking, which can be arranged in the yard or outside. The area of walking is calculated as follows: for 1 goose - 5-6 m2. The reservoir at the maintenance of the Kholmogory geese breed is also extremely necessary. While swimming, they both warm up and throw out extra energy, and also feed on what they can find in the water. If there is no reservoir, the birds may begin to behave uncontrollably.
What and how to feed the Kholmogory geese breed?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Currant Pests
- Quail Egg Incubator
- Breed of chickens Orpington
- Blue Favorite Duck
Feeding Kholmogory geese
A hungry bird may begin to peck on the roaster (sawdust, straw), which inevitably leads to digestive disorders and, as a result, to death. Therefore, you need to feed in a timely manner, having developed a specific schedule.
Proper nutrition provides not only a large increase in the weight of the bird, but also timely laying, and the health of the offspring. In the evening they usually give dry food, and fresh - twice a day. The diet should include:
- cereals (grain, hay legumes and root crops);
- crushed chalk, gravel;
Dry feed steamed before serving. And from the roots can be mash. On the day, each adult individual of the Kholmogory geese should eat up to 250 g of dry food and up to 500 g of fresh food. In the summer, they eat less fresh food, because during grazing they can eat up to 2 kg of grass at a time.
How to breed Kholmogory geese?
In order to get offspring from the Kholmogory geese breed, it is necessary that in the herd there should be at least 4 females per male. If there are more males, problems may arise with the brood. Eggs selected for incubation or incubation, it is best to check for fertility.
Checking for germ eggs
Geese have a strong maternal instinct. They hatch the eggs until the hatching of the offspring, and then take care of them until the goslings get stronger if they are not weaned from it. After all, some breeders specifically take eggs, not allowing the goose to show maternal qualities, which she may forget with age. However, due to the fact that geese weigh a lot, you should not completely rely on their efforts. Under their weight, they often crush the shells, destroying offspring. Therefore, it is easier to breed the breed in an incubator, or at least half of the eggs artificially produce, and the rest trust the caring goose.
For small geese need to closely monitor. The temperature of the room should be high. But, in addition, they need attention, help and proper feeding.
- Little goslings can fall, but they still cannot rise, which can be fatal for them.
- In the first 3 days of life they are fed 6-7 times a day, and by three weeks they are transferred to four meals a day.
- In the first 3 days it is important to feed with chopped eggs, cottage cheese mixed with cereals and chopped greens. Root crops, oilcake, mineral feed is introduced from the 4th day of life.
- Food should be wet but loose. The adhesive mixture can block the food passage and the bird suffocates.
- Walking chicks can be released from the 7th day of life, but not more than 30 minutes. And all day they can walk only after 2 months of age.