Pinot Noir grapes are known to many winegrowers. It is from these grapes that the legendary Burgundy wine is made. Variety refers to technical varieties. His homeland is France, namely Burgundy. The taste of berries, their aroma is influenced by weather, climate, and care, so in each case it can have its own characteristics.
Description of the grape variety Pinot Noir
This technical variety matures (to technical maturity) in about 140-150 days. Technical maturity usually occurs in September. Cultivated today for the most part in France, Germany, USA, Italy, Austria, Argentina, Japan and some other countries.
Low-growing shrubs with upright shoots
Low-growing bushes, with upright shoots. The young vine is green, the one-year-old is green-brown, and the old is stiff, brown in color. The leaves of medium size, round shape, can be slightly corrugated or finely bubble, color is always saturated green. Flowers bisexual.Important! Pinot Noir is valued not for the yield or quality of the bush, the vine, but for the taste and aroma of the berries.
A small cluster with a length of 7-12 cm and a width of 5-8 cm in the shape of a cylinder
The cluster is small, 7-12 cm long and 5-8 cm wide, in the shape of a cylinder. Usually it is very dense. The mass of the bunch can vary from 65 to 120 g. The berries are medium in size - 14-16 mm in diameter, 1.3 g in mass, rounded. The color of the skin is dark blue with a bluish bloom. The peel is thin, but durable. The pulp is high in juice, delicate, with a harmonious, sweet-sour taste. Seeds in one berry - 2-3 things.
Characteristics of Pinot NoirRead also these articles.
- Bellarosa potato variety
- The best meat breeds of ducks with a description and photo
- Breed of chickens Hisex White
Below are the characteristics of Pinot Noir with all its advantages and disadvantages.
- Bushes do not grow very large, develop with medium strength, which simplifies maintenance.
- The yield is low - 50-60 c / ha, but this grape is still highly valued.
- Gray rot, oidium and mildew are moderately affected. Very often it is struck by the leafworm and phylloxera.
- Variety can peas.
The yield is low - 50-60 centners per hectare, but this grape is still highly valued.
- The eyes bloom in early spring, therefore, sometimes damaged by returnable frosts.
- Winter hardiness is quite high (-25 degrees), but even if the vine was damaged by frost, in the spring the bush quickly moves away and goes back to growth.
- Taste is pleasant, distinguished. Sugar content - 21.4 g / 100 ml, acidity - 7.7 g / l.
Features of growing
Pinot Noir is quite sensitive to planting conditions. For example, when grown in hot areas, the grapes will ripen too quickly, not having time to develop a bouquet of taste and aroma. He is picky about the quality of the ground, light. For the cultivation of this variety is best to choose the southern areas, it is possible on the slopes. The most acceptable soil is limestone with clay, it should be loose. Acidity regulate in the range of 6.5-5 pH.Important! If, as it grows, the bush grows heavily with foliage, it is necessary to cut off all the excess, so that sunlight can reach the clusters.
To grow this variety is best to choose the southern areas.
When spring planting, the pit is prepared in the fall. They are dug at a distance of 80-100 cm. A distance of 1-1.2 meters is observed between the rows. If the planting is autumn, then the pit is made in 3-4 weeks. Drainage is made in the pit, then fertilizers are applied (250 g wood ash, 250 g nitroammofoski). Planting seedlings carefully so as not to damage the roots. After planting, the ground is compacted and watered. From above, it is advisable to mulch the root zone by 5-10 cm with peat or straw.
Pinot Noir Grade CareWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Quail breeding and maintenance
- Apple varieties for the Leningrad region
- Fat-tailed ram
- Raspberry variety Glen Ampl
The best grapes of Pinot Noir is grown in Burgundy. The reason is not only in climate or earth, but also in care. Only by observing all the norms of care can you get a quality crop.
Spraying, dressing and watering Pinot Noir (Pinot Noir)
- Watering is carried out not very often. It is advisable to do in the bushes ditches, in which they carry out watering. You can build and drip system - it will be even better for this grape. The first watering is carried out in early spring (if there was little snow, then in March, and if a lot of it was in April). During flowering and 2 weeks before it, watering stops altogether. Water consumption for an adult bush in the summer - 40-60 l.
- Top dressing bring 3-4 times a year from 3 years of age. The first top dressing is carried out before flowering (50 g of nitrophoska per bucket of water), the second top dressing is needed 2 weeks before the formation of berries (20 g of potassium magnesia and ammonium nitrate per bucket of water). The third dressing is done 2.5 weeks before harvesting (20 g of potassium salt and the same amount of superphosphate per 10 liters of water). After harvesting, you can spend the last year feeding. Fertilizers are simply buried in the soil when digging. You can use superphosphate, humus.
- For this grape, it is extremely important to carry out preventive treatments for pests and diseases throughout the season. Treatments are done at intervals of 1-2 months.
For winter, Pinot Noir is covered only in areas with cold winters.Important! Water for irrigation of grapes Pinot Noir is taken at room temperature.
- The formation of the bush is carried out in the south with a low bole, and in the north with a high boom with long sleeves. Shoots are cut on 7 eyes. Trimming is carried out with a very sharp shears, moistened with a disinfectant solution. Once a year you need to cut off all the extra shoots, sick, not fructifying pagon.
- For winter, Pinot Noir is covered only in areas with cold winters. At the same time, the ground should be mulched with peat or humus, and the bushes themselves should be covered with insulating material.
Harvesting and processing
Berries ripen from about mid to late September, depending on the region, climate. You need to collect clusters manually, carefully removing them from the vine. This grape is not subject to long storage. It is advisable to start processing immediately after harvesting.
Used grapes Pinot Noir for the manufacture of table wines of high quality
Pinot Noir grapes are used to make table wines of high quality or good champagne wine materials. To obtain maximum tannin, pressing the berries is carried out with a brush. Both white and red wine are made from this grape.
Reviews of Pinot Noir
Winegrowers know and love Pinot Noir for an amazing bouquet of taste and aroma.
- Yegor Volkov: “I have grown 15 Pinot Noir bushes for more than 10 years. I like the variety, first of all, with my taste - the wine turns out to be unique! Yield is, of course, low and this is the main minus, and you should be able to care for this grape, but it is highly valued and I could sell all the extra crop without problems. I noticed that he loves fertilizers very much, especially nitrogen. For all 10 years there were no diseases, but every 2 months I process bushes from fungi and viruses. But there were pests, but special preparations from they are good at helping. "
- Vadim Krylov: “On my plot, Pinot Noir is the main grape. I use it only to make homemade wine. It has no competitors here! The only thing I don’t like about this variety is that it depends on the weather. If summer does not succeed, the taste will be simple, and the fragrance is weak. So you need to be able to create the best conditions for it. "
- Natasha Savina: “The Pinot Noir grape variety is good both in taste and in cultivation. There is not much harvest, but enough for personal needs. We make wine from the best batches, and homemade juice from the poor ones. There are no particular problems with regard to care, but you need to fertilize it regularly and process diseases, otherwise the entire crop may disappear. In addition, it is desirable to make a drip irrigation system, it will be easier to irrigate if the plantation is large. "